Monday, 3 November 2014

Sausage Fest

The short animated film 'Sausage' by Robert Grieves is finally available to view online from today. I did the sountrack to it. YAY. Also, Robert has cleverly timed the release of the film with 'British Sausage Week', he doesn't mess about this guy.

Painstakingly developed over several years, the film was created and animated digitally but takes it's visual inspiration from the vintage cartoons of the 1950s and '60s. I was recommended to Robert as somebody to help him find a soundtrack to match, as my production aesthetic veers towards the lo-fi and scratchy. We worked hard over several days early last year, drank my expertly made coffee and ate lots of turkish takeaways, and the results can be seen below:



I mainly took my cues from the kind of library music/exotica that was revived by the geniuses behind Ren & Stimpy. There are other musical touchpoints though; Brigitte Bardot and French Ye Ye Ye, Quarteto Em Cy, Raymond Scott and Pierre Henry. Using a combination of real instruments, programming and a smidgeon of vinyl crackle, a sonic world was imagined that I think matches up perfectly with Robert's quirky visuals (IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF).

'Sausage' has been doing the global festival circuit for almost a year now, and has picked up 8 top prizes now I think, including Foyle in Ireland which automatically puts it up for the Oscars longlist. Fingers crossed that it will make the final five, and you'll probably see me killing it Hans Zimmer style on the next Michael Bay film.

You can find out more about Robert and the film here:

http://sausagefilm.net

No comments:

Post a Comment